PDA

View Full Version : Faster Hard Drive Burst transfers tutorial

thegrogster
07-23-2008, 06:06 PM
This is a little tweak I stumbled upon yesterday trying to figure out what was causing my computer to freeze.. I stopped my search when I stumbled upon this. I have Seagate Barracuda SATAII drives in my computer right now and this may have the same effect for ANY SATAII Hard drive because they all have the capability.

Requirements
- A basic understanding of hardware without any fear.
- A motherboard that actually supports SATAII.
- A small tool, like a micro screwdriver.

What are we doing here?
In an effort for more backwards compatibility, Seagate - at least - has decided to limit it's SATAII to 1.5GB/s instead of the actual capability of 3.0GB/s. Now really, hard disc drives have a limit because they're mechanical, but what this will do is almost DOUBLE your burst transfer speeds. Which means a small file or multiple small files will transfer or load much faster. It does nothing for continuous read/write speed though. One benefit, no negative effect, how can you go wrong?

Well, how do we do it?
- Power down the computer, I can't stress this enough.
- Pull out your hard drive and look at the connection end.
From left to right on MY hard drive you see
[power][data][4 pins]
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w26/thegrogster/tweak.jpg
These 4 pins are what we're dealing with.
If there is a grey jumper. This grey jumper is what's limiting your transfer speeds.
FIRST check the jumper settings on the label to see if you need to remove the jumper or just move it to the other side.

On my hard drive, you remove it.
And once that's done, you'll notice a few things loading faster. If you don't, rest assured, things are actually going faster. If you run a burst benchmark before and after, you will see a difference.

TWO OTHER THINGS TO NOTE
- I took this off a website that I can't find anymore, which is why I did this entirely on my own.
- I offer no warranty on this tweak :P I have done this to my computer so it does work and it doesn't fuck things up unless you don't follow the instructions.

Happy fragging!

//EDIT --- 09/24/3008
Trust me when I say make sure your motherboard can handle SATA2.
I tried it with a MSI K8N Neo motherboard which is old and only supports 1.5Gb/s transfer speeds.
In windows I got STOP 0x0000004E errors constantly
and in a linux install, both Fedora Core 9 and Ubuntu 8.10 it wouldn't load.
Caps Lock and Scroll lock would just flash.
I put the jumper back and all was well. But that doesn't mean that it can't destroy an already established install if you don't know if your motherboard can handle the transfer speed.

cold_illusion
07-24-2008, 12:50 AM
It's a shame my raid controller only supports 1.5 gb/s... That boost would definitely be nice there...