PDA

View Full Version : SSDs?

Lumi
01-21-2009, 01:30 AM
I've been thinking about getting one ever since a topic steered off into discussing them (can't recall which one it was though).

What are your experiences with them? I would use it as my startup drive, mainly, for my OS and those few progams I need to open when I boot my computer.

I reinstall Windows quite often. More of a habit than anything when I install new hardware, I like to start fresh. Are installation times faster? (And not "a little faster" either) or is the HDD not the limiting factor during OS installation?

thegrogster
01-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Actual installation times are slower. Quite a bit slower too. however, read times can't be matched. I even got a super cheap one. If you spend more on say, an OCZ Core or Patriot Warp2, you'll be beating what I go as far as both read and write as they keep getting faster
If you decide to get two and raid them, both write and read times will be even faster.

Here's a write up I did on speeds and whatnot when I first installed my SSD.

http://hardware.thegrogster.com/2008/12/results-are-in.html

Jeremy
01-21-2009, 04:53 PM
The results are impressive, but solid state is not worth the money right now. I need at least 100GB for it to be useful to me. It makes absolutely no sense to use solid state for just OS and startup apps. I would need it for all of my installed software, specifically games.

thegrogster
01-21-2009, 05:57 PM
As I said in all other threads about SSDs.
The way I have it set up.
SSD - OS/startup apps
RAID - games and other apps
everything else - general storage.

Yes the results are impressive but raid is cheap and fast enough to keep things going smoothly as well.
It make perfect sense to use it for your OS and startup apps for someone who gets pissed off if it takes more than 30 seconds to boot to a completely loaded OS without needing to load anything else. (me)

Jeremy
01-21-2009, 06:03 PM
That makes more sense. However, still too much money for only a faster startup (for me). My PC boots up just fine.