PDA

View Full Version : First "OFFICIAL" PUG Match 2009/07/29 9pm EST

ichthys
07-28-2009, 08:07 PM
First "OFFICIAL" PUG Match 2009/07/29 9pm EST

Post here if you would like to play. Post your class so it makes it easier for captains. If you would like to captain a team (pick your members and boss them around) post here also.

General PUG/server info can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=176&t=4182 (http://www.couchathletics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=176&t=4182)

Please be on vent 10mins prior to the match. If you are not here we will start looking for subs.

Players
-------------------------------
ichthys - demo
numbers - soldier/med, pyro, heavy, engie, demo, scout
passive - medic, demo, scout, soldier
stress - scout, soldier, medic, demo
nite - demo, sniper, medic, soldier, scout
farfel - medic
cp - medic, soldier
johncataldo - medic, demo, soldier, scout
timmyfred - soldier
extremetroy - sniper, heavy, pyro, soldier
onlyslightlyspecialsausage - Sniper, Soldier, Heavy, Engie
ranny - Scout, Demo, Solider, Pyro

JOIN THE CA PUGS STEAM GROUP! I'm COOL! (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/capugs)

07-28-2009, 08:39 PM
yeah i'll play this time. lol.

soldier/medic (though with my random lag it might be better for me to play medic), pyro, heavy, engie, demo, scout (those in any order).. i will not play sniper or spy.

Passive
07-28-2009, 09:44 PM
I'll play medic, demo, scout, or soldier. In that order :P

Looking forward to the event!

STRESS
07-28-2009, 11:16 PM
i'll play scout, soldier, medic, demo.

nite
07-28-2009, 11:45 PM
i'll play demo, sniper, medic, soldier, scout

Farfelnugens
07-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Medic.

CPYR
07-29-2009, 12:02 AM
Medic, soldier

JohnCataldo
07-29-2009, 12:22 AM
medic, demo, (...) soldier, scout (but I'm about equall bad at soldier and scout that it doesn't matter much which one =)

Rmeddy
07-29-2009, 12:51 AM
Medic ,Soldier, Demoman.

I hope I got time, tonight to come on and check it out.

TimmyFred
07-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Yeah, i'll play.

I really only want to play soldier, but will play anything else (no preference after soldier) if need be.

extremetroy
07-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Sniper, Heavy, Pyro, Soldier

Rmeddy
07-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Hey guys just found out my meeting is going late, so I'll try next week.

Really sorry

damagicsausage
07-29-2009, 07:10 PM
You know I'm in,

Sniper, Soldier, Heavy, Engie

Ranny
07-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Hopefully i can make it.

Classes:Scout, Demo, Solider, Pyro

ichthys
07-29-2009, 10:51 PM
ggs

nite
07-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Another fun set of games, too bad I'm now 0-alot. If you are a captain, don't pick me :P

STRESS
07-29-2009, 11:49 PM
it was pretty fun, if some rounds were a little stacked. maybe consider a random draft or something.

Passive
07-30-2009, 12:52 AM
This was a great event :D. I loved that we had the perfect amount of people in the server. Yes, there was a bit of team stacking, with CP and Timmy owning all of us at [strike:e0ekt5jl]one[/strike:e0ekt5jl] two matches. Oh, and I agree with [strike:e0ekt5jl]STRESS[/strike:e0ekt5jl] aBT that we should have randomly picked teams, that could make it a bit more even...possibly. Or have someone not playing pick both of the teams.

I'd love to see this event grow, but that might be a bit hard. We would need 2 servers...but maybe we could get a mini tournament going every week if we can get 24 people coming every time. That would be pretty fun :D

07-30-2009, 01:14 AM
yes, random team choice might be in order..

but i do have to say as a reminder: discuss the team lineup BEFORE you make your team ready.. lol.

Passive
07-30-2009, 03:17 AM

but i do have to say as a reminder: discuss the team lineup BEFORE you make your team ready.. lol.

Yeah, the captain system didn't work out as I would have hoped. Oh well, it's the first event. :D

TimmyFred
07-30-2009, 09:46 AM

Yeah, the captain system didn't work out as I would have hoped. Oh well, it's the first event. :D

The captain system is just fine, imo, it just needs some tweaking...like the first pug we did (last week), we picked zaz and runic, specifically to separate the two of them. The 2nd pug we did tonight was also, ok, because the captains had roughly the same knowledge. The problem was the two times I was captain, but it likely would've been the same had it been stress or cp or ichthys that was captaining those times: I know better than Passive (in the first) or Mongoose (in the last) who can play a 6v6 setting competently, and what classes they're good at. The first time I picked CP first, because I knew he was gonna medic, and he's a beast at the most important class. My second pick was Ich because i knew he's a good demo, and with the semi-random nature of the pug, having a good combo and a good demo will do a lot of the work for you. Similarly, in the last pug, i picked up cp, ich, and stress as my first three picks...that they were even all available for me to get was kinda ridiculous.

Point is, if we're going to do captains, they need to be captains of equal levels of experience, most likely, otherwise the stacked teams are going to happen because the one with less experience doesn't know who to pick.

STRESS
07-30-2009, 10:39 AM
the only thing about the lineup is people say they want to play a class, but then get put on a team where there's someone already playing that class, or nobody wants to play a certain class.

the first round was a bit lopsided as most of the people who had scrimmed badlands before were on one team, so we got beat to mid every time and chewed up. the second round went really well for us, everyone was being communicative and playing excellently as a team. the third was an absolute teamstacking stompfest that was somewhat painful to be a part of.

Passive
08-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Point is, if we're going to do captains, they need to be captains of equal levels of experience, most likely, otherwise the stacked teams are going to happen because the one with less experience doesn't know who to pick.

Possibly we should go off of peoples HLX stats to pick teams? Have top two people be captains, or whoever has the most experience as captain, and then pick teams accordingly according to rank. That may add a bit more evenness...

JohnCataldo
08-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Possibly we should go off of peoples HLX stats to pick teams? Have top two people be captains, or whoever has the most experience as captain, and then pick teams accordingly according to rank. That may add a bit more evenness...
HLXStats can't account for classes, which is pretty important. I'm sure there's *some* really good and high ranked players who just aren't that good at *all* of scout/soldier/medic/demo, which means you have to pay a lot of attention to what people can play.

ichthys is more or less on it, though. If we can get teams picked a day in advance, that gives captains plenty of time to do their research.