PDA

View Full Version : Worst in Class - April 11 - ctf_biomass

Mr. Altaco
04-10-2010, 02:45 AM
This week on worst in class, a new community map chosen by Boss1000, last week's winner!
http://forums.tf2maps.net/geek/gars/images/2/4/4/8/ctf_biomass_b20003.jpg

If you want to grab the map ahead of time, you can download it here. (http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?p=153250#post153250)

Anyone for captaining?

TypeZERO
04-10-2010, 02:55 AM
Map is on the server, and been uploaded to fast download folder for the CA servers.

No-eye-deer
04-10-2010, 12:00 PM
It's gonna be interesting going into this completely blind. I mean I could run through it beforehand, but I know I won't end up doing it. A note to potential captains...

Simcaster
04-10-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm looking forward to playing biomass, it looks like a really cool map.

Hellblazer
04-11-2010, 10:28 PM
No offense to the map maker, but this is the worst map for any competitive event. There needs to be a lower path, like a tunnel or something. The water must also not be deadly. Nice concept, but it didn't work in practice.

More than enough times than I'd like to count, I got blown into the deathpit (aka: water). A single fucking pyro can defend the whole base by simply airblasting people into the water. Its extremely aggravating to get all the way into the base, then get blown into the water and die.

Also, 3 of us were AFK during the final round because we thought it was halftime. I went to the bathroom (read: 60 seconds) and the game was already over. I even asked in chat to have a minute because I thought it was halftime. We had a vote to redo, and it won, but apparently, majority doesn't count. It would have been nice to know that we were starting right away again.

I'm a little raeg right now though and I do admit that. Now, some positive notes: even teams, hilarious headshots (I hate you simcaster D:), and tons of people!

B-Ferret
04-11-2010, 10:29 PM
We capped it again after we voted to do it over.

But the map was fun. I had plenty of fun with my needles, despite a lot of bitching from my team mates, also, medic ninja caps are great. So, is water jumping with the intel.

Hellblazer
04-11-2010, 10:30 PM
A vote like that normally means a restart of the round.

Mr. Altaco
04-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Team Listing:
[spoiler]Team Simcaster

Ferret - Medic
Anakin - Heavy
Boss - Soldier
Numbers - Scout
Albexican - Demo
Samurai - sniper
Troy - spy
Z-9

Mr. Altaco
04-11-2010, 10:31 PM
A vote like that normally means a restart of the round.
I'm sorry if my wording was improper, I only intended to mean that we'd go for another cap.

Simcaster
04-11-2010, 10:33 PM
I had a blast, i got some really good shots in with the rifle.

Balloon_race is next.

Demo uploading.

Edit: Demo (http://www.filefront.com/16097665/ctf_biomass_b2_balls_9001.dem).

Remember to post any thought/critisism in this (http://www.couchathletics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=186&t=6019) thread.

Z-95
04-11-2010, 10:38 PM
I'd like to thank the maker of this map for making a map where playing pyro is SO much fun! :D

Airblast + pits = :dance:

No-eye-deer
04-11-2010, 10:50 PM
A lot of small frustrating things added up to make an overall unenjoyable experience. Some of them mentioned. I can't really blame the fact we started with 3 afks on anyone but myself - I thought everyone was ready, I was wrong clearly.

For future notice, don't allow class switching once a captain has joined his team channel. I'm confident Simcaster didn't change anything and it was just as you said (a miscommunication), but if thats not cleared up it leaves a lot of room for random changing based on the team's input as well. Just be sure next time before you send us to our respective channels. It could lead to unneccessary drama\cheating.

Edit: Oh and Weezel kept yelling at us for playing our "worst in class" badly. :naughty:
You hurt team morale bro.

Simcaster
04-11-2010, 11:45 PM
A lot of small frustrating things added up to make an overall unenjoyable experience. Some of them mentioned. I can't really blame the fact we started with 3 afks on anyone but myself - I thought everyone was ready, I was wrong clearly.

For future notice, don't allow class switching once a captain has joined his team channel. I'm confident Simcaster didn't change anything and it was just as you said (a miscommunication), but if thats not cleared up it leaves a lot of room for random changing based on the team's input as well. Just be sure next time before you send us to our respective channels. It could lead to unneccessary drama\cheating.

Edit: Oh and Weezel kept yelling at us for playing our "worst in class" badly. :naughty:
You hurt team morale bro.
Yeah, i'm sorry about the class switch thing. I made a couple revisions to the list, but taco didn't get those so when he sent me the list back for conformation i said it was alright without looking at it.

@Taco Make lists in notepad, mkay?

No-eye-deer
04-12-2010, 12:19 AM
I don't blame you at all. Besides if it really bothered me I would've said something.

CrackRabbit
04-12-2010, 01:57 AM
I was looking forward to being Dr. OW! MY FACE! for a couple more rounds. But alas I was the stabber of backs, I hate playing spy on no-crit servers, it doesn't play the animation right and I can never tell exactly if I should be getting a backstab or not.

ichthys
04-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Team Simcaster

Ferret - Medic
Anakin - Heavy
Boss - Soldier
Numbers - Scout
Albexican - Demo
Samurai - sniper
Troy - spy
Z-95 - pyro
Spooter - Engi
Taco - Scout
Simcaster - Sniper

Team No-Eye-Deer

Aquapatty - Soldier
Mala - Demo
Kneazle - Scout
Torte - Pyro
Weezel - Heavy
Meatnog - Engi
Crackrabbit - Spy
Hellblazer - Engi
chezwaldo - Sniper
Ichthys - Medic
No-eye - spy

After a tie, Team Simcaster won in the tiebreaker round. Simcaster has chosen balloon race for next week. Oh dear.

Most people seemed to enjoy the map, though the most common complaint was the expanse of deadly water.

I was engineer, not medic. Is this the "miscommunicated" list?

I thought the map was fun. But I only really saw it from the defensive side. There was really only one actual push by the opposing team with a sold/med combo, but it didn't get far. All other attempts were just scouts and spy coming in.

No-eye-deer
04-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Hm, it appears it is. I don't have the list with me, but offhand I can tell you Mala was soldier, Meatnog was sniper, you were engineer, and Hellblazer was our medic.

Does anyone think this might play better on captains night? You know, where the class balance would be better. The inherent map problems would still exist, but I feel like we had a problem with pretty much resigning the engi to the intel room. The mid was never locked down like I wanted. I'm not sure if thats just our team, or the classes, or bad communication. Either way maybe WiC isn't the best format for trying a new map is what I'm thinking.

ichthys
04-12-2010, 12:27 PM
I still think we should have set classes for both teams, or at least try it that way, which doesn't seem like what we did this week.

No-eye-deer
04-12-2010, 12:30 PM
It is not, I can see the difficulties in that we don't know how many people will be there in advance. It would however, make the games much more fun. Pretty much the go to classes are Spy->Sniper->Engineer->Scoots(depending on map) and teams stacked with those just aren't fun to play on or against really. Forcing a medic is a nice start but he needs offensive buddys.

I'd almost say just make everyone random and say screw it. :roll:

Simcaster
04-12-2010, 05:28 PM
6v6
medic
demo
sniper
pyro
soldier
heavy

7v7
medic
demo
sniper
pyro
soldier
heavy
scout

8v8
medic
demo
sniper
pyro
soldier
heavy
scout
spy

9v9
medic
demo
sniper
pyro
soldier
heavy
scout
spy
engi

10v10
medic
demo
sniper
pyro
soldier
heavy
scout
spy
engi
Heavy(could change)

11v11
medic
demo
sniper
pyro
soldier
heavy
scout
spy
engi
Heavy(could change)
soldier(could change)

12v12
medic
demo
sniper
pyro
soldier
heavy
scout
spy
engi
Heavy(could change)
soldier(could change)
pyro(could change)

Could we try this out next week, taco?

Mr. Altaco
04-12-2010, 07:44 PM
I think that could work, sim. However I really want to give captains as much freedom as possible. I don't feel class requirements for anything past 9v9 are good, there's at least one of everything then. So what I'm thinking is a basic required list only for 6v6 where team makeup is most important. That would be everything but spy, sniper, and engi. With 7-9 people, captains can pick from those 3. I feel this will help ensure a strong enough team while still maintaining some degree of captain freedom. What do you guys think of that?

ichthys
04-12-2010, 08:33 PM
I think that could work, sim. However I really want to give captains as much freedom as possible. I don't feel class requirements for anything past 9v9 are good, there's at least one of everything then. So what I'm thinking is a basic required list only for 6v6 where team makeup is most important. That would be everything but spy, sniper, and engi. With 7-9 people, captains can pick from those 3. I feel this will help ensure a strong enough team while still maintaining some degree of captain freedom. What do you guys think of that?

I still think set classes for any number of players is better.

Snowman
04-12-2010, 09:33 PM
I still think we should have set classes for both teams, or at least try it that way, which doesn't seem like what we did this week.

As long as teams having engie's with no medics is not repeated.

B-Ferret
04-12-2010, 10:06 PM

As long as teams having engie's with no medics is not repeated.
I remember that night. It was so horrible, especially on Hydro. D:

WeeZeL
04-12-2010, 10:15 PM
sorry noeyedeer I wish you had said something to me in game I didn't know I was messing with moral. I've been on the other end of that before and I didn't mean it to be demoralizing. Thinking of it now it would have been better for me to try to help people play the class than tell them what they are doing wrong.

No-eye-deer
04-12-2010, 10:37 PM
I was just mad. You're still cool.
8-)

Meatnog
04-15-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm sorry if I mad people mad playing sniper. (also I didn't play Engi as listed above, I was told sniper).

The map has significant problems with snipers. *1* sniper can hold nearly the entire middle area from their side entrance with the barrels. You have a clear line of sight to all 3 exits of the other team.