PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion Box

Mr. Altaco
04-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Up until now, all the feedback for the event has been in the individual weeks' threads. I figured it'd be good to consolidate feedback in this thread.

Go ahead and give any sort of suggestions or commentary for Worst in Class right here and we'll see what we can do to make the event as fun as possible.

Simcaster
04-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Needs more koth_rainbow.

Also more discussion on set classses for non 9

B-Ferret
04-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Please make it so you can't be picked for the same class twice in a row.

Mr. Altaco
05-09-2010, 07:18 PM
[quote=Simcaster]

Simcaster
05-09-2010, 07:33 PM
[quote=Mr. Altaco][quote=Simcaster]

Ninja
05-23-2010, 10:53 PM
If someone has played the same class two or three times in a row they should be able to request not to play that class. I know B-ferret is a hella bad medic but he seriously doesn't want to play WiC anymore because he's medic so often.

Boss1000
05-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Again, I don't see how this is a huge overhead. Make it someone's responsibility that, if they don't want to play that same class again, to say so in the event topic. A quick reference of the previous WiC's can confirm it's been 2-3 times of the same class.

Then, just make sure the captains know not to pick that class for that person.

:)

Ninja
05-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Agreed.

Mr. Altaco
05-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Alright, there seems to be a fair amount of demand for this, so let's give it a shot. From now on, anyone can post in a week's event thread requesting to not be put as a class if they've been that class for a few weeks in a row.

Boss1000
06-21-2010, 11:20 AM
We should really stick with more silly maps. It gets frustrating and competitively-minded when we're playing even a straight (if fanciful) KOTH map like yesterday.

I mean, I don't know if major strategizing was really part of the aim of this event.

:|

No-eye-deer
06-21-2010, 01:25 PM
What's an example of a silly map? I always thought this was a competitive event and that we've taken to doing newer/lesser played maps to kind of lessen the blow of playing a class you don't enjoy.

Boss1000
06-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Balloon Race, I thought, was a perfect map for this event. I don't know how many other maps of that kind or caliber exist, but I think we could benefit from playing more of them.

:?:

Ninja
06-21-2010, 02:31 PM
To me this event is a lot more fun when we play on stock maps or custom maps that are good. Not bullshit bad maps like balloon race.

06-21-2010, 04:34 PM
guys guys.. i have an idea

KOTH_RAINBOW XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD

Ninja
06-21-2010, 05:53 PM

Atleast that ridiculous map is fun to play.

Z-95
06-22-2010, 01:02 AM

It's on the server :eusa-shifty:

TypeZERO
06-22-2010, 01:37 AM
ujKRFbPYUmM9

ichthys
06-22-2010, 01:46 PM
I still think this event would work best with set class limits.

TypeZERO
06-22-2010, 01:48 PM

I thought the WiC configs were limited to one of each, or two of each. But no more.

ichthys
06-22-2010, 01:57 PM

I thought the WiC configs were limited to one of each, or two of each. But no more.

I mean for each team to have the same number of each class, not up to the captains.

TypeZERO
06-22-2010, 02:01 PM

I mean for each team to have the same number of each class, not up to the captains.

Ah, gotcha.

Dirka
06-22-2010, 02:35 PM

I agree, plus it would make the event start way faster if you did the draft like I had suggested earlier with each round picking a set class

Z-95
06-22-2010, 04:37 PM
I usually leave this up to the captains and give them a choice either way.

Most times they like to choose their own rather than be forced into set classes it seems.

Also, picking peoples classes usually only takes 5 minutes or so when it's all at once. Picking classes as you pick people hasn't been popular with captains (again, I give them a choice and let them decide).

Everyone is open to captain if they would like to do things differently, but we have the same 4-5 people captaining almost every time and they have it down pretty efficient.

Last WiC was speeding along until Mutki ragequit and we tried to find a fair way to replace him without re-starting the picking. Also Roland wanted to play so we wanted to accommodate him too.

ichthys
06-22-2010, 04:56 PM

Most times they like to choose their own rather than be forced into set classes it seems.

Captains may prefer this, but I think it's better for all players when things are balanced.

Also, picking peoples classes usually only takes 5 minutes or so when it's all at once. Picking classes as you pick people hasn't been popular with captains (again, I give them a choice and let them ...

I agree with this. I think classes should be picked after all players have been picked.

One other thing that could change is the way you pick the other teams players. I don't really think this is necessary, just pick your own players. Picking who you want is easier than picking who you don't want in hopes you'll get the desired players.

Boss1000
06-22-2010, 06:54 PM
[quote=ichthys]I still think this event would work best with set class limits.

Captains may prefer this, but I think it's better for all players when things are balanced.

Also, picking peoples classes usually only takes 5 minutes or so when it's all at once. Picking classes as you pick people hasn't been popular with captains (again, I give them a choice and let them ...

I agree with this. I think classes should be picked after all players have been picked.

One other thing that could change is the way you pick the other teams players. I don't really think this is necessary, just pick your own players. Picking who you want is easier than picking who you don't want in hopes you'll get the desired players.[/quote:3igw5b9m]
On the first: I wouldn't object to having set classes to have duplicates (or, if less than 9, removed). Maybe the first double should be a Medic, then Demo? It almost feels gamebreaking when the Medic is bad or dead, and your team is stagnant for half a minute (or the whole game).

Ichthys, I don't know if you have the whole picture when it comes to picking. I'm not starting from the beginning trying to maneuver to get good people. I'm looking for the players that I can give an important class and not do very well. I certainly wouldn't object to picking my own team, though. I might yield better results and a more streamlined process.

:)

MercenaryBlue
12-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Here's a suggestion for silly business

The Great Randomization
Plays like a normal match, but with a few rules
The captains doesn't choose his players - they are randomly selected. (everyone press random together)
When it comes to picking classes, you must select random.
Everytime someone dies, they must switch class and select random again before they respawn.

The game suddenly becomes a mess with everyone switching classes over and over. Hilarity ensues.

Mr. Altaco
12-04-2010, 01:53 AM
Here's a suggestion for silly business

The Great Randomization
Plays like a normal match, but with a few rules
The captains doesn't choose his players - they are randomly selected. (everyone press random together)
When it comes to picking classes, you must select random.
Everytime someone dies, they must switch class and select random again before they respawn.

The game suddenly becomes a mess with everyone switching classes over and over. Hilarity ensues.
We may try this, though with a bit of a variant.

MercenaryBlue
12-04-2010, 02:36 AM
what do you have in mind?

Mr. Altaco
12-04-2010, 02:56 AM
what do you have in mind?
Either:
1. Worst in class, but classes are randomly assigned.

2. Silly Business: Everyone starts on scout. When you die, you go to the next class down the list.

Simcaster
01-16-2011, 06:02 PM
I demand that we play this map!

pl_whalerace (http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=11224)

MercenaryBlue
02-20-2011, 05:22 AM
Here's an idea. Melee-only round, under Medieval rules.
Basically we're limited to melee weapons to kill people.
Better yet when coupled with highlander rules.

1) The KGB, Eyelander, Equalizer, and Powerjack are all considered hi-tier weapons because they can dominate.
2) The Demoman has access to his targe and hi-range weaponery.
3) The Soldier has the ability to buff his entire team - if he survives long enough
4) The Heavy is a giant tank of a man capable of decimating an entire team w/ the KGB
5) The Pyro is able to deflect menaces and retain a relative high health via the Powerjack
6) The Sniper tries to shoot menaces from afar with the huntmans
7) The Medic can keep his whole team healthy via crossbow and amputator taunt.
8) The Engineer can only use a mini-sentry, and place other utility as normal.

Dirka
02-20-2011, 12:08 PM
i call sniper..

Poppet
02-20-2011, 02:54 PM
I don't like the idea of extra rules added to melee style combat it over complicates it and only leaves room for accidental cheating where Melee and Support Weapons is simple enough to understand.

Kakariko Village looks like a plain steamroll map it seems to be more for the Nostalgia than for playing it.

The map design lets a Sniper or Demoman on Offense just obliterate everything in their way due to it having a fully open roofed design.

If PL Whalerace hasn't happend it should that map looks sweet. ;-;

B-Ferret
02-20-2011, 04:35 PM
I've played that map.
It isn't fun and the setup time is close to 3 minutes.

Boss1000
03-17-2011, 11:31 PM
So we were building up the server tonight, and I thought it would be fun to hit up Degroot Keep. It was! A few more people joined, and it was a great, refreshing experience to have a semi-melee-only few rounds.

After that, though, we went to Red Fort. I was about to change it, but everyone was willing to continue the Medieval Mode for this map. Everyone had a great time, to my knowledge, and it was really fun! We should consider this for a Silly Business, if people were interested. I know the Demoknight-Huntsman idea on that map isn't new, but with the multitude of melee weapons available now and the right mentality, it can be a blast.

:D

MercenaryBlue
03-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Highlander medieval-mode on cp_redfort.

/go

Ninja
03-20-2011, 12:30 PM
no thank you

Boss1000
03-20-2011, 01:54 PM
If we did that, it wouldn't need to be WiC.

:idea:

MercenaryBlue
05-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Hey. I saw this soccer-themed map on youtube.
Basically the ball is the flag and the goal is to capture it.
dEv-I5fu1F8
Explosions abounds. Get the map and host it for Silly Buisness.9

B-Ferret
05-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Hey. I saw this soccer-themed map on youtube.
Basically the ball is the flag and the goal is to capture it.
dEv-I5fu1F8
Explosions abounds. Get the map and host it for Silly Buisness.
That map really isn't as fun as you'd think.9

Ninja
05-29-2011, 10:19 PM
Here's a suggestion... balanced teams

B-Ferret
05-30-2011, 03:31 AM
Here's a suggestion... balanced teams
ur so maid

MercenaryBlue
05-30-2011, 05:38 AM
When a select group starts training and playing competitively every week, of course they'll average higher than the norm.

All I'm saying its perfectly normal for one side to be slightly stronger.

Boss1000
08-03-2011, 11:25 AM
I think a return of the lulz is in order for this event:

I suggest we have a night of Friendly Fire Captain's Night under the Silly Business banner.

Basically, some Sunday we should do a Captain's Night, everything else normal, but with friendly fire on. What do you guys think?

:violence-sniperpro:

7thDementia
08-03-2011, 12:16 PM
I think you gotta win this week's WiC for that to happen. :smugface: I'm open to it.

EDIT: Why do we not have a smug smiley?

No-eye-deer
08-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Fucking Silly Business...

:obscene-hanged:

Boss1000
08-03-2011, 12:42 PM
When my Internet connection becomes more reliable and I'm not constantly tired of being on the spot most nights (which may get better or worse, depending on my graduate course load), then sure.

But I'd love some other opinions on this.

:techie-typing:

Simcaster
08-03-2011, 02:18 PM
I really like ideas like this, this is what silly business should have been. A small, fun tweak, like a silly map or friendly fire or rtd, but still playing a competitive game with teams and captains.

Dirka
08-03-2011, 03:02 PM
I like the idea of doing something silly/different once every 4-6 weeks or so

Farfelnugens
08-03-2011, 03:23 PM
I like the idea of doing something silly/different once every 4-6 weeks or soI can get behind this idea. Make it a bigger deal, rather than just a humdrum weekly thing and we might have a better chance of garnering interest for it as well as a smaller chance of people becoming bored with the same ol' thing.

Boss1000
08-03-2011, 03:50 PM
I really like ideas like this, this is what silly business should have been. A small, fun tweak, like a silly map or friendly fire or rtd, but still playing a competitive game with teams and captains.Exactly. This was my own preference and what I sensed was the majority's opinion on the matter. Start with organized play, then do something different. Otherwise, it's just what we do every night and not special or with any sense of importance.

:text-thankyouyello:

B-Ferret
08-03-2011, 10:22 PM
I like things like Prop Hunt, Fort Wars and other cool things. Friendly Fire just seems like it would be incredibly frustrating.

Boss1000
09-25-2011, 06:26 PM
What about banning weapons? We could have events that ban certain weapons from being used, whether it the Sandvich or "anything with bullets", at two extremes. Another route to take could be an event like Captain's Night, but where players are stuck on one of their good classes (or do this during WiC), but ban them from using one choice weapon.

:character-bowser:

Simcaster
09-25-2011, 06:45 PM
What about banning weapons? We could have events that ban certain weapons from being used, whether it the Sandvich or "anything with bullets", at two extremes. Another route to take could be an event like Captain's Night, but where players are stuck on one of their good classes (or do this during WiC), but ban them from using one choice weapon.

:character-bowser:

A spin on this would be all default weapons.

FreakTheKing
09-25-2011, 06:55 PM
A spin on this would be all default weapons.

I like this. A lot.

Boss1000
09-25-2011, 08:16 PM
A spin on this would be all default weapons.That has always left me with a reductionist attitude and therefore distaste with the idea.

In other words, I like it if it's coming from wanting a change of pace. I don't like it if it's because "I don't like all this shit in my face since update #118".

:auto-nascar:

Hellblazer
09-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Default weapons would be awesome.

TheSexyAlbexican
09-27-2011, 01:13 AM
Why don't we try Best In Class again? Granted, I can't make Sunday nights at 9:00 anymore, but if I COULD come, I'd like to give it a shot. Load up a KOTH map and try it again. The biggest complaint last time was that the team that won Medic pretty much won the game, but I still thought it was fun regardless the final team makeup. Besides, there weren't demoknights last time. They could be there own class for the event.

Also, I remember one time I was playing on the CA servers years ago when there were only a few people on, and we had an Engineer only, wrench and level one sentry only fight on 2fort. One of the most fun times I've had in TF2.

FreakTheKing
09-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Oh yeah, Best in Class, yeah that was lulzy as all hell when I was on the Medic side, you couldn't stop our needles from blotting out the sun.

Dirka
09-27-2011, 04:48 PM
What about a random class every time you spawn, or force you to cycle through the classes with each spawn, or the random class, random loadout mod, or all hunstman balloon race. Bring back the silly

TheSexyAlbexican
09-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Just remember that the silly needs to be super duper silly. Like it was said before, if it's not over the top enough, it's just dumb. Paraphrasing, of course.

Boss1000
09-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Just remember that the silly needs to be super duper silly. Like it was said before, if it's not over the top enough, it's just dumb. Paraphrasing, of course.I both disagree and want to know what kind of parameters to follow to know when something gets its "duper" status. WiC+FF worked out just fine. Any interesting variation can be enjoyable.

:laughing-lmao:

Dirka
09-27-2011, 08:05 PM
To me, any amount of silliness can be fun as long as we have set teams, set win conditions, and both teams are making an effort to win the game, no matter how ridiculous it is

7thDementia
09-27-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm in agreement with Dirka, I want to do the randomizer mod. Best in Class could be fun too... but no koth_sawmill. Fuck that noise, mang.

Personally, I have an idea to make it sillier regardless of what the event is: When there's a minute left, play the Double Dare Obstacle Course music cue. It's also a bit adrenaline-pumping too, so maybe it'll help push the teams into overdrive to win. Or something like that. Or just be cool.

MercenaryBlue
10-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Can the server run custom maps like PropHunt and Dodgeball, without breaking it for Captain's Night and PuG? Cause I want to make sure we can run those before starting to captain.

Kamis
10-09-2011, 10:30 PM
The server could. However it does require some setup with configs and stuff. Personally I don't have the time to do this, if simcaster does then it could happen.

MercenaryBlue
10-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Make it happen, I got a sweet map for halloween.

Simcaster
10-09-2011, 10:46 PM
If I have time in the coming weeks, I'll look into it.

Kamis
10-09-2011, 11:53 PM
Maps are easy. It's when you get into the config's with maps and whatnot that it gets complicated. If the map has standard rules it's no problem

No-eye-deer
10-10-2011, 02:41 PM
So when people think of ideas for Silly Business, what I see is a lot of ideas that are funny on paper or revolve around a ridiculous concept (all class wars, revolving classes, randomizer mod) where as I feel like the majority of people just want something different that still maintains the base strategical elements of the game (WiC, all vanilla weapons, Soldier/Medic pair offs).

Just my 2 cents, but I tend to enjoy events that are competitive in some fashion (aka, have a goal or point to them) and maintain at least some degree of strategy. I really feel like when you stray outside of these lines, you lose about 50% attendance because while some people find the idea funny (all pyro flaregun fights lol) others just find it boring.

I suppose you could title this, "Why I hate Silly Business." I'm also not against things like Baloon Race or Prop Hunt, but honestly once you've done them for one or two sessions, it feels like you've done it a thousand times because those maps lack any real depth to them.

Dirka
10-10-2011, 03:35 PM
why aren't there more tf2 mods? things like rtd seemed like they could be fun but were poorly executed.

MercenaryBlue
10-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Honestly NED, I feel you can do only so much WiC before it lose the Silly Business part. There's so much more that can be done with Team Fortress mods that we can easily deviate and still keep it competitive. I think a rotation between game modes would be the best, but until then I'm captaining only to get some silly maps back. I want to see more Arena, Pyro Dodgeball, Medieval, and silly custom maps like koth_pacman, and that's why I'm coming to captain on sundays. (Cause I got a mic now). If it becomes too competitive, it'll just feel like CN/PuG 2.0 to me.

Again, the key is variety. New maps and ever changing game modes goes a long way.

FreakTheKing
10-11-2011, 08:40 PM
I honestly don't like medieval mode anymore, I feel like I've either played it too much, or its just boring on the same map over and over again.

I also don't mind it being ridiculous, as long as it's at least lulzy as hell and fun on a bun. And that means don't make it half-assed in the slightest.

Like, that one time where we played a low grav map a while back with Farf, Grap, HevyD, Bexican, Taco and a couple others over a pit of death (water) and were pretty much all Demoknights and Heavies, THAT was fun on a bun for at least an hour.

Kamis
10-23-2011, 06:20 PM
I suggest a new picking style. It could be fun, and maybe it's been done before. A captain picks the first player for their team, then that player picks the next and so on, so no one person can be blamed for bad picking!

chezwaldo
10-25-2011, 04:01 PM
I suggest a new picking style. It could be fun, and maybe it's been done before. A captain picks the first player for their team, then that player picks the next and so on, so no one person can be blamed for bad picking!

you can still blame people for bad picking.

No-eye-deer
10-25-2011, 04:47 PM
I feel as though team choosing would still be pretty similar, but it's certainly worth a try imo.

Ag3nTTeresa
03-13-2012, 12:57 PM
I has a suggestion, since private messaging is dumb.

I want a silly business night where everyone has to play scout. The HP should be set to 1 and the spawn timer should be instant. The map could be a capture the flag or king of the hill map. Every scout is only allowed to use boston basher.

What say you?

Sizik
07-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Here's an idea I had: Espionage.

The game plays like a regular Captain's Night, except that one (or more, depending on the number of players) player on each team is working for the other side. The mole's job is to try as much as possible to make their team lose, and/or make the other team win (preferably not by staying in spawn and being useless). Each team would know the identity of their assistant(s) on the other team, but not that of the one(s) on their own team. This means that both moles know who each other are. Players are not allowed to reveal the identities of the moles in public chat until the game is over.

For balance reasons, the mole can't be the team's sole medic.

Some ways to sabotage your team:
Take the enemy intel, then hide with it.
Waste ubers (run away, go melee only, taunt, etc.)
Hold open one-way doors.
Push stickies towards friendly players.
Use bad loadout choices (e.g. Booties, sco res, and claidheamh mor)

Boss1000
07-26-2012, 07:52 PM
First of all, this idea is awesome.

Second, you'll need to put in place incentives to stop people from, like you said, sitting in spawn or otherwise. I propose two idears for how the mole can act, based on how the rules can be set up:

1. S/He can be just totally useless, and obviously so. Everyone on the team will know the Scout Boston Bashing himself into oblivion is the mole, but the person can amuse him or herself by coming up with ways to be annoying.

2. The mole can try to stay unknown to his/her team. Being just good enough that they aren't detected, but not playing to full strength or ability.

The second one needs some incentive for moles to stay under the radar, but I feel it could be the much more interesting game. I suppose the mole for the losing team (for screwing them over) is considered to be on the "winning" team in the end. Then, the "winning" mole gets captain-winning status (helping pick the next SB/WiC event) if the losing team captain doesn't pick him/her out as the mole. The winning captain can pick out their mole, too, for kicks.

This could be super awesome, and I think I've closed all loopholes, honestly. The picking of moles would have to be done randomly, of course, probably by a 3rd party. Though I wonder about the no-Medic thing. With these rules, I think that could still work. Though should Captains be barred from being moles? That's almost too many levels deep for me to comprehend right now.

:icon-biggrin:

No-eye-deer
07-27-2012, 03:10 AM
Something like each team chooses who they think their respective mole is at the end of the game? A mole wins if the team guesses wrong. Whatever prize was designated for the mole is given to the team captain if he is correct.

Boss1000
07-27-2012, 09:19 AM
I simplified it to just the captain's choice, first of all. That way, there's no voting or anything annoying. The team can just speak up informally about what they think before the captain is asked.

I prefer my way. I'm gathering from what you're saying that both moles can potentially win? I don't like that. Being the mole is random, so to just be given a prize for potentially playing the game normally (which the mole could do: be a bad mole, yet completely inconspicuous, for a prize) is a bad idea. I want the mole to have an incentive to work for the other team, namely that they only take part in the winnings if they cause the team they're on to lose.

Just like if James Bond stays undercover the whole movie and doesn't get anything done (or worse, works for the enemy), he shouldn't be rewarded.

I would encourage communication between a team's captain and their mole on the other side. Perhaps, if things get dire, the captain could have the mole act overtly and obviously. It would blow his cover, but if the captain is nice, he could offer the prize or helping pick the next event anyway.

:think:

No-eye-deer
07-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Well, I should have said if the mole isn't found out and their team loses, they should win. The fact a mole could play completely normally and still lose (aka, win) is a problem though. Also the idea of two winners is a bit weird.

Did I say voting...? I didn't mean they would vote if I implied it. In my head it was the captain's choice.

Boss1000
07-27-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm concerned about the captain. It's not very nice to have someone volunteer to captain, lead a team, and win... yet have a chance to earn nothing from it. Having two winners that must agree on the next event seems more reasonable.

:think:

Edit: I wonder if it's a big concern that moles would lay so low that they play normally. This is a pretty sweet new mini-game for them to play, and I'd expect they'd use it.

7thDementia
07-27-2012, 12:59 PM
OH MY GOD, IT'S JUST TF2 WITH ELEMENTS OF MAFIA THROWN IN, IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE THIS COMPLICATED.

No-eye-deer
07-27-2012, 01:37 PM
So how would you simplify it?

7thDementia
07-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Event manager picks the mole on both teams and lets them know over Steam chat, and they can't pick the captain as the mole. Bam. Done.

No-eye-deer
07-27-2012, 02:27 PM
So what's being the mole other than an excuse to be terrible?

For most maps, barring ctf, a mole will literally do nothing but sit in spawn. And for the team, it will become quickly apparent who the mole is and they will just play a man down (which isn't really a problem as much as it adds nothing interesting).

Hiding the mole's identity is trivial as it will become apparent in the first 5 minutes. The mole needs some incentive to hide his identity.

7thDementia
07-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Right, the incentives that Boss suggested would work. I said that you basically were making a mountain out of the molehill that is picking the mole. I don't know how I could've been misunderstood. I mean, it basically IS TF2 Captain's Night with a dash of Mafia.

Boss1000
07-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Saying something is a mashup of two games gives the overall idea but nothing in execution. (It's like Call of Duty meets Advance Wars!) I spent a good, long while thinking about how to best get the Mafia element into the game and put in place rules that would guide the mole and all players to have the most fun possible.

It's not that complicated in practice. It's the explanations of why and the discussions of what to put into place that were complex. Don't trivialize them.

If you just took the basic idea and ran with it, you would come up against all of these issues very quickly and have several bad events. Hell, people might write off the whole idear as bad. It's important to get it right the first time.

:?

Dirka
07-27-2012, 05:01 PM
I don't think you'd ever not know who the mole was.