PDA

View Full Version : Forty-first PUG Night Wednesday 06/30/2010 9:00pm EST

Simcaster
06-24-2010, 03:37 AM
Forty-first PUG Night Wednesday 06/30/2010 9:00pm EST
cp_gullywash this week, any captains?

No-eye-deer
06-24-2010, 03:51 AM
Guess I should actually play it rather than watch videos of people playing it then. :?

Torte de Lini
06-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Will captain, I personally nominated this map for its great design and unique paths.

TimmyFred
06-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Guess I'm done with PUG night, since it's apparently not PUG night anymore, but rather Captain's Night Light.

If I wanted to play that, I'd join the events channel on Saturday night, when Captain's Night happens. The purpose of PUG night was to give a taste of competitive 6v6 play. People get left out. It happens. it always has, but then they're guaranteed a place in the next PUG of that night.

General Information:
Vent Info:
host: ventrilo.couchathletics.com
port: 28587
channel: Events Channel
ventrilo://ventrilo.couchathletics.com:28587/servername=Couchathletics.com[/*:m:2iuu7jco]
Server info:[list:2iuu7jco]
Server 'connect 216.130.7.105:27016; password capug'
Password: capug[/*:m:2iuu7jco]
Steam Group: [CA] Pugs http://steamcommunity.com/groups/capugs[/*:m:2iuu7jco]
Team format will be 6v6. Standard CEVO rules/cfgs will apply.[/*:m:2iuu7jco]
Sign up at http://www.tf2lobby.com before the event.[/*:m:2iuu7jco][/list:u:2iuu7jco]

From the official PUG Night Guidelines thread. Note, it says nothing about adding a seventh player that will take 20 minutes to get his shit straight before even joining against the will of one of the captains.

Ninja
06-30-2010, 09:39 PM
timmyfred - the whiny bitch that should be banned forever from everything.

TimmyFred
06-30-2010, 09:45 PM
timmyfred - the whiny bitch that should be banned forever from everything.

You mean banned from the one event that I play, that I now don't, since it's essentially the light version as another event now? Go for it.

Torte de Lini
06-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Just stop coming to the PUG event please.

TimmyFred
06-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Don't play anymore Timmyfred.

I already said I wasn't, dipshit.

Torte de Lini
06-30-2010, 10:00 PM
It's hard enough to find enough people to make a full game of PUG night without someone making strict demands when he has no right to.

Ninja
06-30-2010, 10:00 PM
And life's better without timmyfred, yay!

TimmyFred
06-30-2010, 10:02 PM
It's hard enough to find enough people to make a full game of PUG night without someone making strict demands when he has no right to.

I have no right to ask that the game be played AS THE EVENT WAS DESIGNED? Are you retarded? Like seriously, did your mother drop you on your head as a child, or were you born with an extra chromosome?

The fucking event was designed as 6v6. I picked 5 players, and then had more forced upon me. I'm not playing that shit. I told simcaster at the very first mention of >12 players that I wasn't playing it. This is not captains night. As such, it has strict player and class limits. When those were thrown out the window, I left.

Torte de Lini
06-30-2010, 10:13 PM
I think you fail to see the reason why Couchathletics has events.

The event is meant to flex in accordance to the amount of people who want to play.
6v6 is competitive.
8v8 is competitive.
and Highlander are all competitive games [Highlander is commonly practiced as seen on TF2lobby].

Whatever, the issue is resolved since you're never coming back.

p.s: There's no reason to insult any of us.

Boss1000
06-30-2010, 10:22 PM

I have no right to ask that the game be played AS THE EVENT WAS DESIGNED? Are you retarded? Like seriously, did your mother drop you on your head as a child, or were you born with an extra chromosome?

The fucking event was designed as 6v6. I picked 5 players, and then had more forced upon me. I'm not playing that shit. I told simcaster at the very first mention of >12 players that I wasn't playing it. This is not captains night. As such, it has strict player and class limits. When those were thrown out the window, I left.
That's quite enough animosity here. I'm sorry that you value the 6v6 environment to the extent that you won't play otherwise, but the event leader (and potentially most of us) prefer to include as many people as possible while maintaining that competitive environment. The text your citing isn't a steadfast edict on how the event is run; I don't see how 8v8 or even Highlander would be so against the spirit of the game.

I mean, you're okay with 6v6 with Pyros and other nonstandard classes, but won't take a 7v7?

:|

TimmyFred
06-30-2010, 10:28 PM

That's quite enough animosity here. I'm sorry that you value the 6v6 environment to the extent that you won't play otherwise, but the event leader (and potentially most of us) prefer to include as many people as possible while maintaining that competitive environment. The text your citing isn't a steadfast edict on how the event is run; I don't see how 8v8 or even Highlander would be so against the spirit of the game.

I mean, you're okay with 6v6 with Pyros and other nonstandard classes, but won't take a 7v7?

In a pug, you're forced sometimes to play to your players strengths, which often means letting weaker players play pyro rather than pigeonholing them into a certain class. As for the other classes....nearly every class is used in competitive TF2 (with the pyro and spy being the least used), so it's not that far of a stretch to include them in a pug.

And yes, the event was set up as a 6v6 event. It is that steadfast, as evidenced by the fact that more than once, when ichthys was running the event, we had folks sit out (often ich himself) because we had more than 12, and those that sat out were guaranteed a spot at the table in the next pug. We didn't increase the size of the game, because that turns it into a different event.

It shouldn't matter what the event leader or the players think UNLESS ITS UNANIMOUS, which it obviously wasn't. And no, I highly doubt I would've been the lone dissenting voice.

But I really don't expect you to understand any of that, boss.

Nick Mangiaracina
06-30-2010, 10:48 PM
LOL U MAD?

TimmyFred
06-30-2010, 10:54 PM
LOL U MAD?

I mean look at me. I'm so mad. i can't believe how mad I am.

Nick Mangiaracina
06-30-2010, 11:47 PM
LOL U MAD?

We need to get you a double down and a chocolate shake, you'll be good. That always cheers me up.

No-eye-deer
07-01-2010, 01:42 AM
I really wanted to play gullywash so I was kinda sad I had to miss the event. Even sadder when I looked at vent to see who was playing. There were a lot of people I enjoy playing with present.

So if we have 12 with Timmy, we do 6v6. If we have more, then Timmy can sit out voluntarily. I wasn't there but I think we can make this work regardless.

TimmyFred
07-01-2010, 07:56 AM
[quote="Nick Mangiaracina":11tiwhvr]LOL U MAD?

We need to get you a double down and a chocolate shake, you'll be good. That always cheers me up.[/quote:11tiwhvr]

You know...the fat kid in me wants to love the double down, but it's just not that good. Probably because we have real fried chicken in the south, and KFC just doesn't measure up.

Now then, Hardees' Grilled Cheese Bacon Thickburger...you can cheer me up with one of those any time you want.

TimmyFred
07-01-2010, 08:02 AM
I really wanted to play gullywash so I was kinda sad I had to miss the event. Even sadder when I looked at vent to see who was playing. There were a lot of people I enjoy playing with present.

So if we have 12 with Timmy, we do 6v6. If we have more, then Timmy can sit out voluntarily. I wasn't there but I think we can make this work regardless.

You're missing the point. The fact that I'm forced to choose to either be the bad guy and show my ass, or leave voluntarily is horseshit. This is not Captain's Night. The format is and has always been 6v6. Anything larger, and it becomes spammy and non-competitive, and we might as well be in a pub.

I would think that anyone who'd played competitive tf2 would understand that, but instead we wind up watering down the event by trying to be all inclusive in the wrong way.

No-eye-deer
07-01-2010, 11:55 AM
I understand why you would want to keep it down to 6v6, I was just thinking if there was an expectation that you wouldn't play more than that you wouldn't have to be the bad guy as you say. It's kind of unfair to you considering what the event was before and now at best forcing you to play only certain games, but I don't think the event managers will change this policy. Who knows though, I'm not an event manager.

Torte de Lini
07-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Simcaster is making a topic about it, last I heard he said that we can do 6v6, but new players/newcomers who are just trying out PUG Night usually get a reserved slot.

Something like that, not sure.

Boss1000
07-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Yep, looks like we're keeping it the usual: viewtopic.php?f=176&t=6656 (http://www.couchathletics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=176&t=6656)

It was an usual circumstance that we had such a surplus of people last night, really. I wouldn't mind if it became the norm, though.

:D

TimmyFred
07-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm totally down for us having more than 12 every week, but that doesn't mean we should compromise the integrity of the event.

I'm glad to see Simcaster decided to revert to the old style of dealing with a surplus.

ichthys
07-02-2010, 03:35 PM

In a pug, you're forced sometimes to play to your players strengths, which often means letting weaker players play pyro rather than pigeonholing them into a certain class. As for the other classes....nearly every class is used in competitive TF2 (with the pyro and spy being the least used), so it's not that far of a stretch to include them in a pug.

And yes, the event was set up as a 6v6 event. It is that steadfast, as evidenced by the fact that more than once, when ichthys was running the event, we had folks sit out (often ich himself) because we had more than 12, and those that sat out were guaranteed a spot at the table in the next pug. We didn't increase the size of the game, because that turns it into a different event.

It shouldn't matter what the event leader or the players think UNLESS ITS UNANIMOUS, which it obviously wasn't. And no, I highly doubt I would've been the lone dissenting voice.

We have done 7v7 in the past. Any time I've sat out was because either I was too busy, or there was an un-even number of players.

We would never to 8v8 though. 7v7 is the limit.

TimmyFred
07-03-2010, 11:06 AM

We have done 7v7 in the past. Any time I've sat out was because either I was too busy, or there was an un-even number of players.

We would never to 8v8 though. 7v7 is the limit.

I've never been part of a 7v7 that I can remember, and you sitting out for an un-even number of players is a pretty analogous situation to people sitting out when we have too many. I'm sorry I confused those two scenarios.

We've also done as I've said and simply had those not picked stick around and/or spectate and be guaranteed a spot in the next pug.

And the format proposed that I balked to was 8v8, but I think it turned into a 7v7 when I left, so all that is a bit moot.