PDA

View Full Version : Forty-second PUG Night Wednesday 07/07/2010 9:00pm EST

Simcaster
07-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Forty-second PUG Night Wednesday 07/07/2010 9:00pm EST
After much discussion and deliberation, I've decided to cap the amount of players at 12. People that have not played pug night will be guarantied a spot. People who sit out from the first round will be guarantied a spot in the second.

The first map will badlands.

Boss1000
07-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Sounds good. Last night was kind of a wild card that threw the event for a loop.

:)

Torte de Lini
07-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Dibs on captaining, I didn't even get my first pick last time ):

Rmeddy
07-01-2010, 04:08 PM
I finally got a chance to buy a new mic , so I'll try to make it next week

Can it be performance based?

So say three players spectating will replace the three least scoring on the losing team and then we scramble for next match.

chet_mcetcetera
07-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Geeze Chet, way to miss the last three events in a row.
It's like you don't even want to play with us anymore, omigawd

At least update your Steam status when you are out, ya hoser.

Torte de Lini
07-07-2010, 10:37 PM
I steam'd you Chet :B

chet_mcetcetera
07-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Did you guys at least get enough to play a round or two?

Torte de Lini
07-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Did you guys at least get enough to play a round or two?

Two :B

Simcaster
07-07-2010, 10:50 PM
I finally got a chance to buy a new mic , so I'll try to make it next week

Can it be performance based?

So say three players spectating will replace the three least scoring on the losing team and then we scramble for next match.
It's going to end up being like that, the best 12 will be picked and the people left over will have to sit out. Scrambling doesn't work, team balance is very fragile and even picking dodge-ball style doesn't always create equal teams.

Rmeddy
07-08-2010, 05:42 AM
I had a horrible flu last night.

I could barely move much less play videogames.

Boss1000
07-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Was I on both losing teams?

I still enjoyed playing Soldier and actually getting some good kills.

Then I dropped uber twice because of magical flying Robigus.

:?

Torte de Lini
07-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Equalizing + Pee = Winwinwinwinwinwin

I heard that Robigus' equalizer was forged by 12 very characteristically-diverse dwarfs.

Boss1000
07-08-2010, 09:29 AM
For the record: twice during melee battles lag spikes hit me and prevented my strike. One of those might have been Robigus' spree.

:doh:

Kamis
07-08-2010, 06:53 PM
I have always avoided pug night because of the competitive atmosphere, but i really enjoyed that even if i lost both maps!

Torte de Lini
07-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Honestly, I think people view PUG Night all wrongly. I was talking to that No-eye-deer before and we both agreed that PUG Night is probably the best event in our opinions.

I'll enumerate them so I don't end up writing my life's story here:

1. The maps are usually familiar and at least acceptable/balanced/easy to do strategics.
2. Quaint groups promote discussion, cooperation and communication: with Captain's Night and WIC, it's very fun and silly, but it can be chaotic, frustrating and annoying when everyone starts talking over one another, etc. etc.
3. Games usually involve and demand cooperation, individual importance [can do anything without the medic, can't do anything without the team's second soldier, etc. etc] and understanding of your place.

Those are basically the main 3 things I like about PUG Night, I can be captain, select an all-around decent team and assign people classes without much obstruction, disagreement or questioning. I can say what we should do, how to do it and the team usually follows through or justifiably puts in their two cents. Granted, this does happen in the other events, but not to the degree and with the combination of the 3 points above.

P.S: This is not a comparison to the other events, but simply highlighting my enjoyment of PUG Night.

It's just a serious, yet pleasant time during PUG Night.

No-eye-deer
07-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Another thing is that your actions have more effect for your team. Just killed a medic? In PUG Night that all but guarantees your going to take the next point if the rest of your team is up. In Captain's Night they likely have a second medic to cover their asses.

And it's probably been said to death but smaller teams make strategies and organization way more meaningful and effective.

Oh and in regards to the game itself, Heavy roll was lulz. I collected the whole set! :D