PDA

View Full Version : Worst in Class - September 18th - 7th is an idiot edition (Aren't all of them?)

7thDementia
09-18-2011, 07:46 PM
So... yeah, I forgot to put the thread up earlier this week. And I forgot what map Boss chose. Since I don't remember, we're going with Badwater this week. Who wants to captain?

MercenaryBlue
09-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Lets ask Boss what map he wanted first? Either way, expect to see me tonight.

I've got a new loadout to try out.

Boss1000
09-18-2011, 08:27 PM
cp_harbor

:angry-argument:

7thDementia
09-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Then we're playing cp_harbor, then. <shrug>

Boss1000
09-18-2011, 10:49 PM
An imbalanced game, alleviated only slightly and temporarily by constant switches and drops of the opposite team. Ratty picked classes fine, I think, but the players themselves were grossly favoring one side.

A precedent has been set to fix this when it's seen, right? So either 7th didn't notice the imbalance or simply didn't act on it. Neither are good signs. Just because people aren't bitching to you (or they always bitch) doesn't mean you should assume all is well. Yesterday's Captain's Night I checked and checked and checked to make sure people were okay with the teams. I find people for which I value their judgement on these sorts of things. Balancing also means that fixes to this need to be done well, meaning that you have to know how to properly rank people yourself.

However, with all that said, Kneazle pocket FTW. Have a dancing alien:

:alien:

MercenaryBlue
09-19-2011, 12:33 AM
I would not recommend the map. Cover is good, but like everything too much it becomes bad. There's little in way of pathways for ground-restricted classes to pick, yet too many way to flank by jumping on the boxes. And the map needs more bridges in mid, a heavy cannot jump the gap without falling in.

Kneazle
09-19-2011, 07:19 AM
"When Kneazle is the best player on your team, something is wrong." -Ninja

I don't know, I'm... kind of flattered?

7thDementia
09-19-2011, 08:53 AM
An imbalanced game, alleviated only slightly and temporarily by constant switches and drops of the opposite team. Ratty picked classes fine, I think, but the players themselves were grossly favoring one side.

A precedent has been set to fix this when it's seen, right? So either 7th didn't notice the imbalance or simply didn't act on it. Neither are good signs. Just because people aren't bitching to you (or they always bitch) doesn't mean you should assume all is well. Yesterday's Captain's Night I checked and checked and checked to make sure people were okay with the teams. I find people for which I value their judgement on these sorts of things. Balancing also means that fixes to this need to be done well, meaning that you have to know how to properly rank people yourself.

However, with all that said, Kneazle pocket FTW. Have a dancing alien:

Or possibly, I thought it was imbalanced, asked Ninja what he thought, he thought it was imbalanced, and when Ratty sent me the setup for Freak's team, I made him redo it multiple times. Some of his switches I may have missed, but I at least tried to make it balanced, Boss. Just because I may not be as good at it as you doesn't give you the right to insult me. Criticize, yes. But to me, what you said was more of an insult than criticism.

And, on that note, Freak, what do you want to do next week?

Kamis
09-19-2011, 11:02 AM
"When Kneazle is the best player on your team, something is wrong." -Ninja

I don't know, I'm... kind of flattered?

Well, you did spot and kill me a lot! So either you did very well, or I'm the worst spy to ever exist.

Boss1000
09-19-2011, 12:25 PM
If you read that as anything other than constructive criticism, then you need to reassess what you call offensive or insulting.

But hell, maybe you should feel insulted. People want to have a good time each week, and it's your job to make that happen. It didn't this time, and it won't every time. But I'd be curious to look back and see the track record of balanced WiC/unbalanced WiC over this year.

Of course, the blame is distributed. Ratty dropped the ball this time, strangely after picking just fine the day before. But you're the guy with the final check, and whatever you said you fixed didn't work. Ninja in particular mentioned a specific switch to me that he thought was an upgrade for their team (AKA making it worse). I think it's important to make that known.

I'm not the best at ranking everyone. Even NED and Simcaster outsource CP to help picking for PUG Night. But if you're not sure about the balance, you can ask. You did it to me when I captained the week before. I disagreed, and that's fine and dandy. I'm okay with taking a more heavy-handed approach until consistently good games continue and control over captains' choices can be alleviated.

This isn't a public bashing or shaming, this is intended to be constructive. You only make it those things by reacting to them in the way you did in your last post.

:character-hobbes:

Edit: I feel like you might have missed something here. The classes weren't the problem. It was pure player skill balance. Swapping classes around doesn't have a significant an impact as swapping players.

No-eye-deer
09-19-2011, 12:57 PM
I miss all the good events apparently.

I'm not the best at ranking everyone. Even NED and Simcaster outsource CP to help picking for PUG Night.
Hey look OK, I missed a day and then he just showed up in my cubicle doing a better job than me. It's totally different.

CPYR
09-19-2011, 01:35 PM
In all fairness they let me in on the choosing because I was the one complaining most about the results.

7th you should have at least 1-2 people giving the OK on team balance until you have the practical experience to do it on your own. Ask people who have a winning record with captaining events.

FreakTheKing
09-20-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm usually really undecided when it comes to a good map to play next...

So I'm going to go completely traditional with...

cp_gravelpit

No-eye-deer
09-20-2011, 01:45 PM
This really isn't that big of an issue but I'm putting it out there for posterity.

In all fairness they let me in on the choosing because I was the one complaining most about the results.

2. Teams will be chosen for the captains ideally by someone both knowledgeable and not playing in the event, but failing that by myself or Simcaster. Once chosen, the teams will be announced to all the players and any grievances or adjustements can be made.
The original idea was that the picking would be done by someone both knowledgeable and with the greatest amount of impartiality we could achieve by going to somebody outside of the event. I wasn't around for whatever happened the week prior, but CP fits both these categories as he usually refrains from playing unless absolutely necessary and of course knows most everyone's particular strengths pretty well. Just my feelings on the situation.